All employment relationships to date:
- Dec 2013 – Present – Independent Expert for European Research
and Innovation at European Commission, Brussels, Belgium; Brno, Czech Republic; (http://goo.gl/GgdtrV).
- Mar 2010 – Present – Exartis, Inc., Newport Beach, California, United States; Geneva, Switzerland, and Brno, Czech Republic; President & CEO, Founder; (www.facebook.com/ViaLidoYouth ).
Personally designed, developed, and introduced on the market in the United States and Europe the Via Lido(R) Product Line of several anti-aging skin care products; now represented in California, Texas, Las Vegas, France, and Switzerland.
- Nov 1999 – Present – Value Team International, Inc., Brno, Czech Republic; Geneva, Switzerland; Newport Beach, California, United States; President & CEO, Founder; (www.vtint.com).
Business Consulting: Creating value for the client companies is always the core of our business. This may be accomplished by a team of professionals, or individually
- Mar 2008 – Nov 2008 – Purio Environmental Water Source, Inc., Santa Ana, California, United States General, Sales and Marketing Manager
Start up operation. Introduced new generation of drinking water systems to Southern California. Full General Management, Sales and Operational responsibility for the entity.
Jun 2007 – Feb 2008 – Alpine Biomed Corp., Fountain Valley, California, United States, Director of Operations for the United States and Vietnam
Directing Operations in California and Vietnam of a multinational medical instrument FDA (ISO 13485) and EU regulated manufacturer (www.alpinebiomed.com ).
– Full Operational responsibility for American and Vietnamese Operations. (The manufacturing process consisted of 49 separate steps).
– Managing over 100 employees (over 50% of company’s employees): about 30 at the facility in California, 75 in HCMC (Saigon) in Vietnam.
– Get the Operations with 87 regulatory violations in full FDA and EU compliance in less than 3 months.
– Preparing Annual Budgets and Forecasts.
– Got the entire pH catheters supply chain under control (as required by the FDA and EU regulations) in the US, implementing the same in Vietnam.
– Drastically reducing inventory levels system-wide, from raw materials and sub-assemblies to finished goods.
– In less than three months prepared the manufacturing department for two significant and very successful regulatory audits. Fixed 87 violations.
– While fixing the facility in California, was in process of introducing the ISO 13485 Quality System at the subsidiary in Vietnam.
Nov 1996 – Jun 2007 and also in 2009, 2011 – Legacy Analytics, and Strategic Business Partners, Arlington Heights; IPA, Buffalo Grove; GSM, Park Ridge, Illinois, United States; Project Manager / Project Director; Sr. Business Consultant, (http://legacyanalytics.net/)
Worked with / for four different Management Consulting Companies providing management consulting to small and medium size companies in the United States and Canada, while also consulting on own account under Value Team International, Inc., www.vtint.com , see above)
Over 15 years of hands-on Management Consulting in wide variety of industries. The projects consisted of Building Companies’ Organizations, Strategic Business Planning, Budgeting, Sales and Marketing Management, Operations, Financial Reporting and Controls, Defining and Implementing Exit Strategies, Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestitures, companies‘ Valuations.
– Asses the client’s business in ALL aspects, identify weaknesses / areas for improvement, focus on profitability.
– Design and either implement personally, or as project manager manage implementation of custom tailored plans for client’s business profitability improvement.
– As Project Manager / Business Consultant, initiated and / or personally implemented company-wide changes in about 300 companies going through the transition from a small privately held business into a functionally organized professionally run organization.
– Developed strategic planning, coaching, mentoring, and leadership skills with companies’ owners and top management.
Oct 1994 – Nov 1996 – Int’l Business Consulting Group, Sunnyvale, California, United States; President & CEO, Founder; (www.vtint.com)
Business Consulting in International Business: Represented SkodaExport, Prague in a turn key cement factory project for Vietnam, worked with Crystalex, Novy Bor, on a glass manufacturing project in Vietnam, part of a multinational team negotiating with PetroVietnam in Hanoi, involved in some other technologies transfer projects
Feb 1994 – Aug 1994 – Ionetics, Inc., Costa Mesa, California, United States; President, VP Marketing and Sales
Ionetics, Inc., founded in 1979 was a medical instrument company that developed, manufactured and marketed a Product Line of Electrolyte Analyzers for analyzing human plasma, serum or whole blood. Company was very fast expanding internationally – over 85% of business outside the U.S. in 1994, up from 10% three years earlier, while tripling the sales. Distributors’ network covered over 45 countries on all continents. In July 1994 Ionetics introduced its fifth major generation of products.
Hands on General Management (Presidency) of a medical instruments company under FDA regulations; re-searching, developing, manufacturing and marketing medical instruments for electrochemical analysis of blood, plasma or serum.
– Successfully introduced worldwide a new generation of Electrolyte Analyzers
– Personally contributed to development of a strong distributors‘ network, company’s major asset: recruited distributors in several Asian countries.
– Actively participated in two IPO processes (VSE, NASDAQ) of that company.
– Successfully faced challenging business negotiations in multi-cultural situations in (the United States,) South East Asia: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Wuhan), Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines as well as all over Europe.
– Successfully brokered an agreement between Hong Kong and Beijing based distributors fighting over the exclusive rights in the Chinese market.
Aug 1983 – Jan 1994
Hewlett-Packard, Geneva, Switzerland and Palo Alto, California; New Business Development
Hewlett-Packard, Headquarters for Europe, Middle East, and Africa, Geneva, Switzerland and later Palo Alto, California. (Hewlett Packard Analytical, now Agilent Technologies, New Business Development (1983-1986);( http://www/agilent.com ).
Led field Business Development, technical and marketing sales support for a $20M Product Line (Multi-user, multi-tasking networked Laboratory Data Acquisition and Information Management Systems) for Europe-Middle East-Africa. Guided the Product Line’s field activities. Was personally involved in key sales. Coordinated multinational sales activities. Organized European Specialized Sales Force.
– Key player in marketing of networked multi-user multi-tasking Measurement and Information Management Systems in Europe. Introduced systems capturing the majority of a $20 million market in less than two years.
– Built a selected part of sales force into a highly motivated team covering Europe.Hewlett-Packard, Scientific Instruments Division, Palo Alto, California, USA, Product Marketing, Product Management, (http://www/agilent.com).
Hewlett-Packard, Scientific Instruments Division, Palo Alto, California, USA, Product Marketing, Product Management, (http://www/agilent.com).
Marketing / product management of multi-user multitasking mass spectrometric measurement systems with sales well over 20 million dollars worldwide (about 20% of the Division’s business). Developing Marketing Plans; managing new product introductions. Besides Marketing, was also System Manager of the computer part of the system with Programming / Product Engineering responsibility
– Introduced several major revisions and a new generation of networked, computer controlled (UNIX based) multi-user Mass Spectrometer systems. Data Processing and Information Management Systems.
– Contributed to the best ever results: both growth and profitability in double digits.
Mar 1981 – Aug 1982 – Nestle Research Department, Vevey – La Tour-de-Peilz, Switzerland, Research Chemist, (http://www.nestle.com/)
Assisted, one-on-one, Professor Archer J. P. Martin (Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1952 for Electrophoresis) in developing new separation methodology (Aug 1981 – Aug 1982). Before that, studied compounds contributing to meat flavor.
- In 15 years run projects implementing company-wide changes in over 300 companies in North America.
- 27 years of profit focused New Business Development in wide variety of industries.
- Managed 45 dealers in 35 countries on four continents.
- Built relationships in widely different cultures: North America, Europe, Asia, Africa.
- Systematized compliance in FDA and EU regulated environments (GMPs, ISO 13485).
- Managed 105 employees in California and Vietnam for a medical instruments company. Optimized supply chain – applied “lean management” methodology.
- Manager with 27 years experience in Project Management / Implementation, Technical Product Management, Sales and Marketing / Branding, International New Business Development and Operations in large, midsize, and small companies. Negotiated sales in 20 countries on 3 continents. Proficient in three languages, online marketing and website e-business. Experience with marketing of medical and chemical analytical instrumentation. Swiss & U.S. Engineering & Science background (Organic Chemistry Energy, Environment, Sustainability); MBA in International Business (International Finance).
- Turnaround and Restructuring of companies in wide variety of industries,
- Functional Analysis – System Design,
- Building / implementing functional organizations,
- Product Introductions / New Business Development / Product Obsolescence – Technology Replacement,
- Budgeting, Financial Planning and Controls,
- Companies Valuations (M&A),
- Sales and Sales Management / Product Marketing / Product Management / Brand Development,
- Complete Supply Chain Optimization – “Lean Management”
- Cross-Cultural Communications – International Problem Solving,
- Compliance in FDA, EPA, EU regulated environment,
- People Development, Leadership, Motivation, Improving Communications Skills,
- Familiarity with Internet – built own first website with e-commerce in 1995,
- English, French, Czech – all fluent
Science and Engineering Background
Ing. (Chemical Engineering)
Dr.Sc. (Organic Chemistry, Organic and Organometallic Synthesis, High Resolution NMR) Stanford Post doc (2 years, Organic Synthesis, Marine sterols, High Resolution NMR)
Nestle – Development of new separation techniques (one-on-one co-worker to a Nobel Prize winner)
MBA (International Business, International Finance)
Hewlett-Packard – (IT): Certified System Manager on HP1000 multi-user, multi-tasking, Real-Time (Process Control / military type) computer system
Industry Experience – New Business Development
Networked measurement and information management multi-user multi-tasking systems for chemical analyses (GC/LC/MS, etc. in FDA and EPA regulated environments) Hewlett-Packard Analytical (HP), now Agilent Technologies, 10+ years), Marketing and Product Management, Operating System programming. Medical instrumentation: Ion Selective Electrodes / Blood Analyzers, Ionetics, 1 year, Company President and VP Marketing & Sales, FDA regulated); pH Catheters, Alpine Biomed, 1 year, Director of Operations for the United States and Vietnam, managing 100+ employees (over 50% of company) in California and Vietnam, FDA and EU regulated).
Started businesses: Distribution (1 year, Purio, drinking water); personally designed, developed, and launched (in the US and in Europe) Via Lido Product Line of anti-aging skin care cosmetics (4 years). Built a team of representatives in California, Las Vegas, Texas, France, Switzerland, Belgium.
International Teams Leadership
HP (Geneva) – European responsibility (2.5 years, field).: Led all Business Development, technical and marketing sales support activities for a $20M Product Line for Europe-Middle East-Africa markets. Was personally involved in key sales. Coordinated multinational (team) sales activities. Organized and trained the European Specialized Sales Force. Key player in Introduction of systems capturing the majority of a 20 million-dollar market segment in less than two years. – Built a selected part of sales force into a highly motivated team covering all main European markets HP (Palo Alto) – Worldwide responsibility (8 years, factory): Product Marketing, Product Management of the Mass Spec Product Line. (This line had all the Summer and Winter Olympic Drug testing between 1976 and my departure) Ionetics (Costa Mesa, California, 1 year) – As company VP Marketing and Sales (and later also President) managed 45 distributors in 35 countries on four continents. Successfully faced challenging business negotiations in multi-cultural situations in the United States, South East Asia: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines as well as in Europe. Successfully brokered an agreement between Hong Kong and Beijing based Chinese distributors fighting over the exclusive rights in the Chinese market.
Problem Solving, Project Management:
Project Manager / Business Consultant (contractor) for four different Management Consulting Firms: 15 years (1996-2011) of hands-on implementing Transformations and Changes in wide variety of industries. Initiated and / or personally implemented company-wide changes in about 300 companies. Developed Strategic Planning, Coaching, Employee Motivation, and Leadership Skills with companies’ ownership and top management. The projects consisted of re-building or changing Companies’ Organizations. Teaching: Delegation, Time Management / Priorities Setting, Negotiations, Employee Motivation, Sales and Marketing Management, Strategic Business Thinking and Planning Methodology, Budgeting, Financial Reporting and Controls, Operations, Defining and Implementing Exit Strategies, Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestitures, Companies Valuations. See the professional profile at www.linkedin.com/in/jkramar for details, Skills and Experience listing, and clients’ Comments / Recommendations as well as on ( http://www.vtint.com/?page_id=20 )
Taught numerous Product Management Training classes at HP – Sales Force Product Training: HP Geneva – European Sales Force; HP (Scientific Instruments Division, Palo Alto) – world wide sales force. Also CCTV US wide New Product Introduction training. Made Sales presentations at Congresses and Trade Shows (ex. Bordeaux, France, 500 participants), Pitcon (USA), Analytica and Achema (Germany); China: Wuhan (60), Shanghai (25), Beijing (85 and 20 participants); As part of Business Consulting / Project Management (paragraph above) taught hundreds of clients and their management teams the business topics listed in the paragraph above. Languages: Fluent in Czech, French, English. MS Office: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and also, when required, MS Project.
Multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, and objectives:
As Project Manager (in Business Consulting) as well as in the positions at HP, Alpine Biomed, New Product Launching – always had to run multiple tasks / projects simultaneously, with defined project objectives and under time and budget constraints.
Run several seminars for the mentorees at Jihomoravské Inovační Centrum (JIC) in Brno (2012-13):
– “Selling IT in the United States” (all day workshop for JIC star-ups) – in 3 parts: 1. Basics of Selling, 2. Selling in the US (in general), 3. Selling IT – as Intangible. Included Communications Skills (personalities, some NLP, verbal and non-verbal communications, negotiations strategies, goal setting, Hierarchy of Needs as basis for motivation, etc.
– “Company Valuations: (preparation of star ups to negotiate with investors)
– “Preparation of IT Sales Tools: (By Zdenek Vrbka, Bus. Dev. Manager, Invea, Brno; delegation)
– “Vision: (By Barbora Kozlikova, Prof. of IT at MU and co-founder of CaverSoft, delegation).
– “16 Seconds Leadership” workshop set for November 7, 2013 (http://goo.gl/BOUI9G )
– “Building a Functional Organization” – next seminar planned for the JIC start-ups in Brno.
Book: Mega Warheads, Coffee-Stands, and Off-Shore Islands. Book on business process and practices with practical advice for personal development targeted at young entrepreneurs. Published in 2003 (ISBN 1-4107-0351-7);
Veterinary Health Markets: The U.S and Western Europe, Report No. 1301 published by PJB Medical Publications, Inc., New York, www.ThetaReports.com, July 2002.
Livestock Feed Types: U.S. and World Markets, Report No. 1302 published by PJB Medical Publications, Inc., New York, www.ThetaReports.com, April 2003.
Chemistry Research: Dr. Sc. Thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, 1978, No. 312; M. Staehle, R. Lehmann, J. Kramar, M. Schlosser, Chimia 39 (1985), 229; M. Schlosser, J. Hartmann, M. Staehle, J. Kramar, A. Walde, A. Mordini, Chimia 40 (1986), 306.
Please read also the list of Skills as recognized by colleagues and clients in the profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jkramar
- Company Valuations (M&A), Financial / Cost Controls, Budgets
- Building Functional Organizations; Strategic Planning
- Sales and Sales & Marketing Management, New Business Development
- Leadership Development, Motivation, Negotiations
- Cross-cultural, Verbal & Non-verbal Communications,
Main professional successes:
- Personally designed, developed, and introduced on the market in the United States and Europe the Via Lido ® Product Line of several anti-aging skin care products; now represented in California, Texas, Las Vegas, France, and Switzerland.
- In 2.5 months turned around the situation at Alpine Biomed under FDA and EU regulations: From 87 violations down to 0 (zero) – while running the company Operations in California (30 employees) and Vietnam (75 employees).
- Turned around numerous other companies (Improved their efficiency, increased sales, cut expenses) – too many to list from more than 300 former clients all over the North American continent. Please read the 15 Recommendations by former clients in the Linkedin.com profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jkramar and also former client’s project closing comments at http://www.vtint.com/?page_id=20 .
- Solved sales exclusivity conflict between a Hong Kong based distributor and the Chinese Army Colonel in Beijing. Added new dealers for Ionetics in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore; improved sales in China, Hong Kong, Korea, Thailand, Philippines.
- Led sales and marketing of networked multi-user multi-tasking Measurement and Information Management Systems in Europe. Leading team of a specialized sales force introduced systems capturing the majority of a $20 million market in less than two years. Built a selected part of sales force into a highly motivated team covering Europe.
- Isolated natural products with interesting biological activity.